Translate

Friday, November 11, 2011

Another Victim of the Economy

Well after 13 years of work at the same construction company as a concrete estimator I have become another victim of the economy. As of today I’ve been laid off from work due to the lack of work and that not enough money is coming in to keep me on for the time being. I was told that if we pick up work they would be bring me back that’s if they don’t have to close up.

Upside this give me time to take care of neglected home project. Believe it or not I may do some volunteer work just to keep busy and give me some purpose to get up in the morning and not let myself slip into lazy behavior and stay up all night and sleep all day. Plus I need to get my resume together and figure out what jobs am I qualified for and considering I'm just a High School graduate it won’t be much. Should I stay in the construction industry considering that it will never be like it once was or should I figure out something new to do? Maybe welding?

Anyway, even though on Nov 1st I was actually told that I was going to be laid off back on Nov 1st I was going to laid off on Nov 11 I'm not sure how feel about this yet. Not a total shock I had a feeling it was coming for a few months. Part of me is trying to stay positive because I know we have a good shot at getting some jobs and I’ll be back at my old job but another part of me feels that this maybe the end of life as I know it. Meaning that after 13 years of going to the same job I may have to do something different and probably at less pay.

Kind of bummed,

UR

6 comments:

Alligator said...

Sorry to hear the UR. I hope something else opens up for you, even if you do free-lance fix -it work. You've got skills.

Universal Realist said...

Well thanks Gator.

Upside is that now I’ll have time to finish reading a book I got in the summer called “The People of the River's Mouth: In Search of the Missouria Indians”. I got into two or three chapters before I had to devote my time into other things.

I enjoyed it so far and really want to finish it. It’s made a lot of sense and amazed some of the information can relate to the Lakotas in some ways.

Alligator said...

I hope you write a nice review about it on Amazon or such. Personally, I don't know if the author really knows what he is talking about!

Universal Realist said...

LOL! I think he does.

Alligator said...

How are you doing my friend? I hope you are able to enjoy the Christmas holiday and time with the family in spite of the hardship.

Universal Realist said...

I’m hanging in there. The wife has a honeydo list which mainly has me painting a couple rooms.

I’m hoping I’ll get my job back but I won’t lie I am worried. I’m a 46 year old High School graduate who worked blue collar jobs. Everything from retail sale to security guard, I’ve delivered parts to flowers, I’ve done landscaping to house painting. I was kind of a Jack of all trades Master of none but for most of my life I was a concrete finisher and a pretty good one until I injured my back which has limited me physically but the concrete contractor I worked for taught me how to estimate jobs for bids and eventually I was making good money for a High School grad. And during this bad time not many concrete companies are looking to hire but as I said I’m hoping my old company will pick up some jobs and bring me back. It’s been twenty years since last time I was unemployed.

I try to stay in touch with my old company and they still say if they pick up work I’ll be back. But I’m still worried that it might not happen. One because after 14 years of working there this is the first time they laid me off (of course this a really bad time for the company) but now the boss’s son who graduated college a year or two ago and I help train to estimate bids is now doing my job for now and second with this economy they could go out of business.

Now my stepson who had a double lung transplant six months ago will be moving back in with us, my stepdaughter who graduated college earlier this year and who just got a job and her musician boyfriend (And we know what “musician” boyfriend means financially) have been living with us and now my other stepdaughter has decided to take a temporary leave from college and move back home until she figures out what she wants to do. Yea so no worry or stress there.

Unfortunately do to all this it has made it tough for me to sit down and continue reading “The People of the River's Mouth: In Search of the Missouria Indians”. But I try to read a couple pages here and there when I can.

But we have the Christmas Tree up, we have Christmas music on and I bought presents so we’re still good there.

I keep wanting to blog but just haven’t had time.

Gator I want to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.